top of page

The CR1 "Spouse" Visa

The CR1 visa is a type of immigrant visa that allows a foreign spouse of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States and apply for permanent residency. It is intended for individuals who are married to U.S. citizens and wish to live in the United States with their spouse. The CR1 visa is a two-step process, involving the issuance of a temporary visa (called a "nonimmigrant" visa) and the subsequent adjustment of status to that of a permanent resident.

To be eligible for a CR1 visa, you must be married to a U.S. citizen and you must be able to demonstrate that your marriage is genuine and that you have a good faith intention to live with your spouse in the United States. You must also meet certain medical and criminal requirements.

The process of obtaining a CR1 visa involves several steps. First, your U.S. citizen spouse must file a petition on your behalf with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If the petition is approved, you will be required to attend an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country. If you are granted a CR1 visa, you will be able to enter the United States as a nonimmigrant. After you arrive in the United States, you can apply to adjust your status to that of a permanent resident.

It's important to note that the CR1 visa is only available to individuals who are married to U.S. citizens. If you are married to a permanent resident (green card holder), you may be eligible for a different type of immigrant visa, such as the K3 visa.

Featured Posts
Check back soon
Once posts are published, you’ll see them here.
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page